What Are Chicken Wings?
Chicken wings are simply the wings of the chicken. They consist of three parts attached to each other via a small joint. The upper section of the wings are drumettes that connect the wings to the body of the chicken. The middle part is wingette or flat, and the bottom pointy piece is the wing tip.
Chicken Wings Nutrition Facts
Chicken wings are the least meaty part of a chicken. According to EU Poultry, wings have almost no carbs and have high levels of protein. Smoking and grilling are one of the best ways to cook wings. They do not add any oil so the calories and nutrition will remain the same.
- For roughly 1 whole grilled/smoked wing (3 oz):
- Calories: 140
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 0.1g
- Protein: 24g
How to Season Chicken Wings
A simple salt and pepper seasoning goes a long way. Or get creative and add spicy elements or herbs in your rub.
To season chicken wings:
- Pat chicken wings dry.
- Add wings into a bowl.
Add in the seasoning. Mix till wings are covered in seasoning
How to Smoke Chicken Wings on the Pellet Grill
The ideal temperature for smoking wings is between 225 to 300 °F and then finish them at 400°F or above for crispy skin. Before hitting the grill, dry the wings completely using paper towels, and then toss the wings in the seasoning of your choice.
To learn the tricks for getting the crispiest skin, read more here.
How Long to Smoke Chicken Wings
It takes approximately 2 hours to smoke chicken wings at 225 °F and 90 minutes at 250 °F. But the size of wings can vary. The safe internal temperature for wings is 165 °F. Always use a grill thermometer to determine whether meat is done.
To grill chicken wings, preheat your pellet grill to 375 °F and grill wings for approximately 35 minutes, turning once halfway through.
How Many Chicken Wings Per Person
As a main dish, you can plan to buy 1 pound chicken wings per person. When serving chicken wings as an appetizer, you’ll need approximately 1/2 pound per person.
What to Do with Leftover Chicken Wings
You can easily reheat leftover chicken wings and enjoy them again. Or, you can cut the meat off the bones to use in pizza, soup, or sandwiches,
Smoked Chicken Wings
- Combine the olive oil, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large bowl.
- Add the wings to the mixture and mix well until all the wings have been thoroughly coated.
- Let the wings marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight (keep the bowl covered).
- Preheat your Z Grills pellet smoker to 225 °F.
- Place the wings on the smoker, turning after 30 minutes.
- At the 1-hour mark, turn the wings again.
- After 20 minutes, brush the wings with your favorite BBQ sauce and smoke for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn the wings again and brush with more sauce, replacing the lid for another 10 minutes.
- Wings are done when the internal temperature reaches 165°F or above.
Best Wood Pellets for Smoking Chicken Wings
Z GRILLS APPLE WOOD PELLETS
Z GRILLS CHERRY Wood PELLETS
Z GRILLS FRUITWOOD PELLETS