You probably aren’t surprised to learn that we’ll grill just about anything, but one of the very best vegetables to put on your pellet grill is asparagus! This delicious dish pairs well with just about any other savory dish you may prepare in your kitchen or on the grill, and you’ll likely become as addicted to it as we are! Read on for the ultimate guide to grilled asparagus.
Table of Contents
How to Choose the Right Asparagus
Your first step is to buy some high-quality asparagus. Try to choose fresh asparagus bundles (no limp bits) around the same length. You don’t need to worry too much about thick or thin, though thick asparagus stems will be more forgiving if you make a mistake and leave them on the grill for too long. Just make sure they’re firm and you’re good to go.
How to Prepare Your Asparagus
The bottom part of your asparagus, where it starts to lose its green color, needs to be trimmed away. You can do this quickly with a knife, but you can also snap the stems. Snapping the stems means all of the harder, woodier stem is broken off and you don’t have to guess what’s good to eat and what’s not. Simply hold the asparagus about a quarter of the way up the stem and snap it like a twig.
How to Grill Asparagus on the Grill
Now your asparagus is ready to go, you can fire up your pellet grill and start grilling.
- You don’t need to do anything fancy with your asparagus, simply toss it in olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Place your asparagus in a cast-iron skillet, on a cast-iron grill plate, in a grilling basket, or in a foil boat if you’ve not got any of those to hand
- Grill until done (see grilling times and temperatures below)
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you want to do something with a gourmet twist, melt a little butter in some foil before you add your asparagus, add your asparagus with ½ cup white wine, and when your asparagus is almost done, sprinkle some parmesan over the top. Delicious!
How Long Does it Take to Grill Asparagus?
1. How Long Should I Grill Asparagus at 350 °F?
At 350 °F, asparagus will only take 10-15 minutes to grill – keep an eye on it and remove it when a fork easily penetrates the asparagus.
2. How Long Should I Grill Asparagus at 250 °F?
At 250 °F, asparagus will take about 40-45 minutes.
3. How Long Should I Grill Asparagus at 225 °F?
At 225 °F, asparagus will take about an hour.
What Are the Best Pellets for Grilling Asparagus?
Unless you’re firing up your pellet grill exclusively to grill your asparagus, choose whichever pellets are best for the meat you’re grilling. For ease, grill your asparagus when your meat is done and you’ve put it aside to rest for 20 minutes or so (it’s the best way to get the flavors to settle in the meat!) so everything will be ready to eat when your asparagus is done.
If you are grilling vegetables and already have the main part of your meal prepared, then consider using a strong-flavored pellet like Hickory so you get a little of that beautiful smokey flavor.
- Preheat your pellet grill to 375-400 °F.
- Fold up a little foil tray with raised sides. Or use a small baking pan with sides that is secure.
- Cut off the tough ends of the asparagus, and wash well. Let dry, and then toss with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the seasonings evenly on the asparagus, and lay in a single layer on a foil tray or baking tray.
- Top with pats of butter, and grill over medium heat until the asparagus is tender-crisp, about 6-8 minutes.
- Toss lightly in the butter that has melted at the bottom of the tray, and serve immediately.
Asparagus is just one of the hundreds of different foods you can grill and smoke, so if you’re looking for other delicious recipes, make sure you check out our pellet grill recipes here. If you’ve yet to try grilled asparagus on a pellet grill, what are you waiting for? Grilled asparagus with a unique, smokey flavor is utterly addictive, and that’s not to touch on all the other delicious smoked meals you can prepare. To get your hands on the best pellet grills on the market.