Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
Grilled eggplant parmesan is a delicious and healthy twist on the classic Italian dish. Made with tender slices of grilled eggplant, rich tomato sauce, creamy mozzarella cheese, and nutty Parmesan, this vegetarian dish is packed with flavor and perfect for any occasion. Grilling the eggplant adds a smoky flavor and caramelizes the vegetable, making it a delicious alternative to the traditional breaded and fried eggplant.
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with canning juices
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper divided
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup vegetable broth low-sodium
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil, for garnish
- 1 large eggplant cut into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté for 30 seconds, then pour in the crushed tomatoes.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Stir.
- Pour in the broth and stir again.
- Bring to a simmer and leave the sauce to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the butter until melted. Follow with the oregano and basil—set the sauce aside.
- Preheat your Z-Grills (preferably with branded wood pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- As the grill heats, brush both sides of each slice of eggplant with olive oil—season with salt and black pepper.
- Transfer the slices to the grates once hot, close the lid, and grill for 3-4 minutes.
- Lift the lid, flip each slice, and grill for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant to a platter and set them aside. Also, increase the grill temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread a third of the sauce into the bottom of an 8×10-inch baking dish. Follow with half of the eggplant and half of the mozzarella cheese. Make sure the slices are evenly spaced.
- Repeat with another third of the sauce and the remaining eggplant and mozzarella slices.
- Finish with the final third of the sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Transfer the baking dish to the grates, close the lid and cook for 30 minutes or until the sauce thickens, the cheese browns in some spots, and the grilled eggplant parmesan is golden and bubbly.
- Remove the dish with the grilled eggplant parmesan from the grates, serve, and enjoy.
If you use a ceramic baking dish, it may get stained by the smoke from the pellet grill.
Serving: 389g | Calories: 540kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 1480mg | Potassium: 740mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 633IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 560mg | Iron: 2.3mg