Grilling is fun, especially when done outdoors in the company of friends. Using a pellet grill scores you extra points due to its precise temperature control. You can slow smoke your steak while indulging in a good conversation.
Not only are pellet grills easier to heat than your traditional charcoal grill, but preparing your steak on pellet grill also provides safety and a fantastic smoky flavor. Everyone loves a tasty pellet grill steak. It also gives you room to make your burgers and smoke your steak all at once.
One great steak dish you can cook on your pellet grill would be Grilled Brazilian Picanha Steak. It sounds exotic, but don’t worry; we’ve got the Picanha steak recipe here.
Table of Contents
What Is Brazilian Picanha?
The top sirloin cap, also known as Picanha steak, or rump cap, is a very tender, flavorful beef cut. It is inexpensive and can be easy to prepare. The exceptional juicy taste of the Picanha comes from its high liquid and fat content. When it comes to tender steak, Picanha steak would be your best bet.
The Picanha comes from the area on the cow called the rump. It is pretty popular in Brazil but very difficult to find at your local supermarkets. However, you can go directly to a butcher’s market and ask for it. Don’t worry; the stress is worth it. The Picanha is a great pellet grill steak.
What’s the Difference Between Coulotte Steak and Picanha?
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a look at the difference between coulotte steak and picanha. While these two cuts of meat are similar, there are a few key differences.
Coulotte steak is a cut of beef that comes from the sirloin cap. It’s a lean and tender cut that’s perfect for grilling. Picanha, on the other hand, comes from the top sirloin. It’s a slightly fattier cut that’s known for its rich flavor.
When it comes to cooking these cuts of meat, the preparation is similar. However, picanha requires a bit more attention to ensure that it’s cooked to perfection.
What temperature should I cook picanha steak?
For medium-rare picanha steak, cook it to an internal temperature of 125-130°F. For medium, cook it to 135-145°F. And for well-done, cook it to 145-155°F.
How Long to Grill Picanha Steak
To grill picanha steak, you’ll need to start by preparing the meat. Begin by trimming the fat cap down to about 1/4 inch and removing any silver skin. Then, cross-score the fat cap without penetrating the meat.
Next, apply an ample amount of salt and pepper to all sides of the meat. Preheat your grill to 225-250 degrees Fahrenheit, and then place the picanha on the grill.
Grill or smoke the picanha until it reaches an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees Fahrenheit. This should take approximately one hour.
Once the picanha reaches the desired temperature, remove it from the grill and turn up the heat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Return the picanha to the grill and cook over high heat until it reaches your desired level of doneness.
How to Grill Picanha Steak
Preparing the Picanha Steak
Here are some steps to prepare your picanha steak for grilling:
Trim the Fat Cap and Remove Silver Skin: Cut the fat cap down to 1/4 inch and remove any silver skin to ensure that the meat cooks evenly and has a great texture.
Cross-Score the Fat Cap: Cross-score the fat cap without penetrating the meat to help it cook evenly and allow the flavors to penetrate the meat.
Season the Meat: Apply salt and pepper to all sides of the meat to enhance its natural flavors.
Grilling the Picanha Steak
Preheat Your Grill: Preheat your grill to 225-250 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure that your picanha steak cooks evenly and has a great texture.
Grill the Picanha Steak: Place the picanha on the grill and smoke until it reaches an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees Fahrenheit. This should take approximately one hour.
Cook Over High Heat: Remove the picanha from the grill and turn up the heat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Return the picanha to the grill and cook over high heat until it reaches your desired level of doneness.
Serving the Picanha Steak
Let the picanha rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. This step is important as it allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making it more flavorful and tender.
What Should You Serve With A Picanha Steak?
Generally, any roasted or pan-fried vegetable can complement the Picanha steak. Here are some other unique delicacies that can be served alongside this Picanha steak recipe:
- Chimichurri Sauce: Chimichurri is a cooking sauce and a great steak side dish that can also be used as an ingredient for everyday cooking. It is made by mixing finely chopped parsley, oregano, red wine, vinegar, olive oil, and minced garlic.
- Fresh Tomato Salad: As we mentioned earlier, veggies are the go-to compliments for the Picanha steak. The tomato salad is made up of diced tomatoes, Canadian hothouse gems, and cucumbers.
- Potato and Egg Salad: Potato salad is an excellent choice to elevate any meal. The boiled eggs and diced potatoes are mixed with other necessary ingredients to form a tasty side dish for your Picanha steak.
What Are The Best Pellet Grills For Picanha Steak?
A great steak isn’t just about having the perfect meat cut and wood pellets; you also need the best pellet grill. There are several things to consider before getting your pellet grill. They include the size of the grill, the cost, the control system, and ease of use.
You can get some of the best pellet grills from us at Z grills. We have over 20 different models, and as such, we give you a variety, so you end up with the perfect choice for yourself. One of the perks of getting our pellet grills is their affordability. We make sure that you can get high quality at low prices.
Many people value different things when purchasing their pellet grills, and that’s fine. However, if you’re looking for good results for your steak on a pellet grill, here are some of the top choices.
- Z Grills 7002C2E (697 sq. in. cooking space): Fire up the unbeatable wood-fired flavor with the 7002C2E pellet grill, featuring game-changing precision and griller-focused design. Grilling Picanha steak on this pellet grill is an incredible experience, especially during parties. It comes with two meat probes allowing you to easily track steak temperatures. The spacious grease bucket feature holds all the grease that exits the steak for minimal cleanup.
- Z Grills 11002B(1068 sq. in. cooking space): Step into the future of grilling with the 11002B WiFi pellet grill—our largest and smartest grill yet. This pellet grill is everything luxury means. It grills your Picanha steak to perfection and gives you a premium feel. Take control of your steak from your couch, in your bedroom, or on the go with WiFi & Bluetooth capabilities. Built like a tank, the 11002B has a PID controller, an LCD, two built-in meat probes, and a pellet clean-out function.
- Z Grills 450B(459 sq. in. cooking space): This is probably one of the most convenient choices, as it is within a price range that is quite attractive. It has an 8-in-1 barbecue smoker grill and PID temperature control. Plus, it has a new pellet clean-out system.
What Is The Best Wood Pellet For Your Picanha Steak?
The best pellet woods are characterized by low ash and moisture content and no bark.
Here are some wood pellet choices for you to achieve the most flavourful and delightful taste for your Picanha steak:
- Z Grills Oak BBQ Grill Pellets: It gives a smoky, smooth flavor that naturally enhances the taste of your Picanha steak. It also ignites quickly due to its low moisture content. It produces very little ash regardless of its efficient and complete burn.
- Z Grills Fruitwood BBQ Grill Pellets: This all-natural fruity hardwood pellet soaks up your Picanha steak with a fruity flavor. It burns completely and has low ash output.
- Cherry Hardwood Pellets: This also infuses your steak with a fruity cherry flavor, and it’s made from pure flavor hardwoods.
Pro Tips for Grilled Picanha Steak
Here’re some pro tips from Tommy to help you remember the steps for grilling picanha steak:
- Trim excess fat and silver skin from the steak.
- Season the steak with salt, pepper, and any other desired spices or herbs.
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Sear the steak for a few minutes on each side.
- Move the steak to a cooler part of the grill and continue cooking until it reaches your desired level of doneness.
- Let the steak rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Grilled picanha steak is a delicious and unique way to enjoy steak. By following these simple steps, you can create a flavorful meal that’s sure to impress your friends and family. So fire up your grill and give this Brazilian classic a try!
Lemon Pepper Grilled Chicken Wings
- Z Grills 550A Wood Pellet Grill
- Z Grills OAK Wood Pellets
- 2 1/2 pounds party wings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 piece Lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat your Z Grills pellet grill to 375 °F.
- Place chicken wings in a large mixing bowl. Toss wings with vegetable oil and lemon pepper seasoning.
- Put the wings in a single layer on the grill and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 15-20 minutes, until an internal temperature of 165 °F is reached.
- Toss cooked wings with melted butter and lemon pepper seasoning.
- Garnish with lemon slices and serve immediately.