Texas Style Smoked Chicken Recipe
- Z Grills 11002B Pellet Grill with Wi-Fi
- Z Grills Cherry Grill Pellets
- 1 chicken
- Uncle Steve Shake Gator Shake rub
- 1 Lemon
Choosing your bird
- If cooking more than one bird, try and pick two or more of the same size in weight!
How to spatchcock a chicken
- Place the chicken on a large cutting board and pat dry. Arrange the chicken breast-side down with the neck facing towards you.
- Use good quality kitchen shears holding the neck and cut along one side of the chicken spine, separating it from the ribs. Be sure to cut as close to the spine as you can so that you do not end up discarding any more of the chicken meat than necessary.
- Repeat on the other side of the spine. A good knife will also work.
Season the chicken
- Apply a generous amount of Gator Shake or your favorite rub. Apply to all sides of the bird!!
Smoking the bird
- Preheat your Z Grills to 275°F with your favorite Z Grills Pellets. For this cook, we recommend using Cheery pellets!
- Once the temperature of 275°F is reached, place the chicken with the skin up on the grates or wire rack.
- Smoke for approximately 2 hours or when the temperature reaches 165°F in the thickest part of the breast.