Smoked Sweet Potatoes
Smoked sweet potatoes are beyond delicious. Not only do they have a great depth of flavor, but they're incredibly versatile. You can take them in a savory direction, go sweet (if you're craving a sweet, smoky dessert), or somewhere in between. This time, we're going savory with kale and feta cheese crumbles.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, cleaned and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup curly kale, chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat your Z-Grills (preferably with branded wood pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Poke the potatoes all over with a fork, then rub the potatoes with oil.
- In a bowl, combine 1 teaspoon of salt with the garlic powder and onion powder.
- Season the exterior of each sweet potato with this seasoning mixture.
- Individually wrap each potato in butcher paper. Otherwise, the sweet potatoes will make a mess of your grill.
- Transfer the wrapped potatoes to the grill grates, close the lid, and smoke for 45 minutes or until the smoked sweet potatoes are very soft in the middle and give in easily when pressed.
- Unwrap the potatoes, then cut a slit down the middle of each potato.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to each potato, season with the remaining salt, and stuff with kale. The heat from the potatoes will melt the butter and wilt the kale.
- Finish each smoked sweet potato with crumbled feta cheese and enjoy.
Butcher paper is used instead of foil since it allows the smoke flavor to permeate the sweet potatoes.
Serving: 178g | Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 1090mg | Potassium: 510mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 9883IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 1.1mg