Smoked Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 11 ounces heavy cream
- 5 ½ ounces whole milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (preferably with a mandolin)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 ounces grated medium cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces grated gouda cheese
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Preheat your Z-Grills (preferably with branded applewood pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter the cast iron pan and mix the cream, milk, flour, garlic powder, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Pat the potatoes dry with paper towels, divide them into four portions, then layer ¼ of the potatoes on the bottom of the buttered dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pour ¼ of the cream mixture over the potatoes.
- Repeat the above steps with the remaining potatoes, salt, and cream.
- Transfer the pan to the grill grates, close the lid, and smoke for 50-60 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Uncover the grill and increase the grill temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle the grated cheeses and sliced scallion over the potatoes in an even layer, close the lid, and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and golden brown.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill, leave them to sit for 5 minutes, then serve.