Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
Fulfill your mac and cheese craving with smoked gouda mac and cheese! Everything from the perfectly cooked pasta to the decadent, smoke-infused cheese sauce makes this a five-star side. Any mild-flavored wood will work, but applewood is best since it gives the mac and cheese a delicious bacon-like taste.
- 1 pound dry elbow macaroni
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half, slightly warm
- 2 cups heavy cream, slightly warm
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups grated gouda cheese, divided
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Generously salt the water, then add the pasta.
- Cook the pasta according to the packaging instructions (about 7 minutes). The pasta should be al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat a 10 or 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat on a stovetop. Melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour to create a roux. Continue to whisk until you no longer see or smell raw flour.
- Slowly pour in the half and half and heavy cream while you whisk until you have a smooth base for the cheese sauce. There shouldn’t be lumps of roux.
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir.
- Remove from the heat, then gradually add 2 cups of grated gouda and 2 cups of cheddar cheese as you whisk. Stop once the cheese is melted.
- Preheat your Z-Grill (preferably with branded wood pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the pasta to the cheese sauce and stir until the cheese sauce evenly coats the pasta.
- Top the macaroni and cheese with the remaining cup of grated gouda.
- Transfer the skillet to the grill grates, close the lid, and smoke for 1 hour.
- Remove from the grill, let sit for 5 minutes, then serve. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Warm the half and half and heavy cream in the microwave for a minute or two. For additional smoke flavor, smoke the mac and cheese for 30 more minutes.
Serving: 267g | Calories: 860kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 61g | Saturated Fat: 38g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 195mg | Sodium: 990mg | Potassium: 340mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2000IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 610mg | Iron: 2.2mg