- Divide the ground beef into 8-ounce portions. Form the meat into ½-inch-thick patties.
- Refrigerate the patties for 20-30 minutes before smoking.
- Season both sides of each patty with garlic salt and black pepper.
- Preheat your Z Grills (preferably with branded hickory pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer the patties to the grates, insert your thermometer probe into one of the patties, close the lid, and smoke for 50-60 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Uncover, add a slice of cheese to each patty, and smoke for 15-20 more minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit for medium, 155 degrees for medium well, or 165 degrees for well done. For toasted buns, brush them with butter and place them cut side down onto the grill when you add the cheese to the patties. Check them occasionally and remove them from the grill once toasted to your liking.
- Add the smoked cheeseburgers to the toasted buns with your favorite condiments and toppings. Enjoy.