Peri Peri Chicken Recipe
Peri peri chicken is a South African staple introduced by Portuguese explorers. It’s spicy, flavorful, and surprisingly easy to make. This peri peri chicken recipe starts with a homemade peri peri sauce and whole chicken wings. The chicken is tossed in the sauce, left to marinate for hours, then it’s time to hit the grill. There’s nothing like heat-fueled, flavor-packed wings!
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 60 grams hot red chili peppers, preferably bird’s eye chilies
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper, seeds removed
- 1 medium-sized ripe tomato, skin removed and roughly chopped
- 60 milliliters fresh lemon juice
- 40 milliliters water, plus more if needed
- 30 milliliters olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 kilogram whole chicken wings
- Add all the ingredients except the chicken wings to a blender or food processor.
- Blend/process until finely chopped with a saucy consistency. This is the peri peri sauce.
- Transfer the sauce to a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes. Stir every few minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and set it aside to cool.
- Rinse the chicken wings under cool water, then pat them dry with paper towels.
- Add the chicken wings to a large tray or bowl. Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat.
- Cover with plastic and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-6 hours.
- Preheat your Z Grills (preferably with branded cherry or applewood pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 107 degrees Celsius (225 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Transfer the chicken wings to the grates, close the lid, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Increase the grill’s temperature to 177 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and cook for 40-50 more minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken wings reaches 80 degrees Celsius (175 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Remove the wings from the grill, plate them, and enjoy.
The sauce for this peri peri chicken recipe can be made up to 48 hours in advance.
Calories: 520kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 280mg | Sodium: 1070mg | Potassium: 660mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1600IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1.9mg