Peri Peri Chicken Recipe
- Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill
- Z Grills Cherry Grill Pellets
- Food processor
- Probe Thermometer
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 60 grams hot red chili peppers, preferably bird’s eye chilies
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper, seeds removed
- 1 medium-sized ripe tomato, skin removed and roughly chopped
- 60 milliliters fresh lemon juice
- 40 milliliters water, plus more if needed
- 30 milliliters olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 kilogram whole chicken wings
- Add all the ingredients except the chicken wings to a blender or food processor.
- Blend/process until finely chopped with a saucy consistency. This is the peri peri sauce.
- Transfer the sauce to a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes. Stir every few minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and set it aside to cool.
- Rinse the chicken wings under cool water, then pat them dry with paper towels.
- Add the chicken wings to a large tray or bowl. Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat.
- Cover with plastic and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-6 hours.
- Preheat your Z Grills (preferably with branded cherry or applewood pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 107 degrees Celsius (225 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Transfer the chicken wings to the grates, close the lid, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Increase the grill’s temperature to 177 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and cook for 40-50 more minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken wings reaches 80 degrees Celsius (175 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Remove the wings from the grill, plate them, and enjoy.