Jalapeno Cheddar Sausage
This jalapeno cheddar sausage is crafted with a perfect blend of pork butt, bacon, and beef chuck, all seasoned to perfection with herbs and spices. The smoky flavor from being cooked in a pellet grill takes this sausage to the next level, adding a depth of flavor that is truly irresistible.
- Medium hog casing
- 1 pound beef chuck chilled
- 1 pound pork butt chilled
- 8 ounces bacon diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- 8 ounces water very cold
- 3-4 jalapeno peppers diced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese medium or sharp
- Soak the hog casing in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the beef and pork butt into pieces small enough to feed through the grinder’s chute.
- Fit the grinder with a 3/8 inch plate and grind the beef. Transfer it to a large, chilled bowl.
- Swap the 3/8 inch plate for a ¼-inch plate and grind the pork butt with the bacon. Add the pork to the bowl with the beef.
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the ground meat. Toss to distribute evenly, then pour in the water as you mix until everything is sticky and well combined.
- Add the jalapenos and cheddar. Fold them into the meat mixture.
- Slide a casing strand onto a ¾-inch-thick funnel and load the sausage filler with the jalapeno cheddar sausage mixture.
- Pinch the casing between your thumb and forefinger as you fill the casing. Twist into 6-inch links.
- Pop the sausages into the fridge.
- Preheat your Z-Grills (preferably with branded wood pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer the sausage to the grates, close the lid, and smoke for 1-1 ½ hours. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the sausages from the grill, cool for 10 minutes, then serve.
To make it a meal, thread scrubbed creamer potatoes onto skewers and cook with the sausage.
Serving: 138g | Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1.5g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 710mg | Potassium: 330mg | Vitamin A: 300IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 1.5mg