BBQ Chicken Nachos
Craving barbeque chicken but want something crisp and crunchy? BBQ chicken nachos are the way to go. The chicken is brined, grilled, then brushed with a delicious barbeque sauce. Once cooked, it’s chopped before tortilla chips, black beans, tomato, and onion join the party. Unlike other nachos, these BBQ chicken nachos are cheese free. Instead, a sweet, smoky sauce ties everything together.
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 8 ounces chicken breast fillets boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 ½ teaspoons yellow mustard
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups hearty lettuce roughly chopped
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 Roma tomatoes seeds removed and diced
- ½ cup thinly sliced red or white onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the warm water and salt in a glass or plastic bowl/container. Whisk until the salt dissolves.
- Add the chicken, cover with plastic, and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the barbeque sauce by adding all the ingredients to a saucepan. Stir.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Once done, transfer the sauce to a bowl and set it aside.
- Preheat your Z-Grills (preferably with branded hickory wood pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, remove the chicken from the brine. Pat the breast fillets dry, rub them with oil, then season with salt and black pepper.
- Place the chicken onto the grill grates, close the lid, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 20 minutes. The internal temperature should be at or close to 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Measure out 2 tablespoons of the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and increase the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush the chicken with the measured sauce using the pastry brush.
- Return the chicken to the grill once the grill has come to temperature. Close the lid and grill for 10 minutes. The final temperature should be 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the grill, rest for 5 minutes, then chop it into small pieces.
- Create a bed of lettuce on a serving platter.
- Add chips, then layer beans, tomato, onion, and chicken.
- Drizzle everything with the remaining barbeque sauce.
- Finish the BBQ chicken nachos with cilantro and serve.
If you prefer to make tortilla chips, cut corn tortillas into triangles, heat oil to 350 degrees, and fry for 2-3 minutes.
Serving: 349g | Calories: 700kcal | Carbohydrates: 93g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 990mg | Potassium: 580mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 2066IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 3.4mg