- For the brine, dissolve the kosher salt and brown sugar in water.
- Place the trout fillets in the brine, skin side up, and brine the fillets for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your pellet smoker to 180 °F.
- Remove the trout from the brine and transfer it to the grill grates.
- Smoke the trout for 1.5 to 2 hours with the lid closed, depending on the thickness of your fillets.
- Smoke until the trout reaches an internal temperature of 145°F or until the trout flakes easily.
- Remove the trout from the smoker and serve warm, or let it cool completely and serve chilled with your favorite accouterments.