Smoked Spatchcocked Turkey
- Z Grills Pellet Smoker
- Z Grills Fruit Wood Pellets
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 14 lbs fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your pellet smoker to 375 °F.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, smoked paprika, poultry seasoning, ancho chile powder, ground cumin, and kosher salt.
- Remove the giblets and neck. Dry your turkey well with paper towels.
- Cut out the backbone of a cleaned turkey, flip the turkey over and press the breast down to flatten it out.
- Trim any excess fat and tuck wing tips under the turkey.
- Heavily apply the spice mixture under the skin and over the top of the skin.
- Coat grill grate with cooking spray.
- Place turkey, skin side up, on the grate. Cover and grill until a thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of thigh registers 160 °F, rotating turkey 90 degrees every 30 minutes. The cooking process will take about 2 1/2 hours.
- Place turkey on a cutting board. Tent it under foil for 30 minutes. Remove skin before carving.