Smoked Mozzarella Cheese
Smoking mozzarella is easy and yields an incredibly delicious result whether you opt for pricier mozzarella from your favorite cheese shop or an inexpensive option from your local grocery store. The cheese develops a beautiful light golden color as it smokes, and the sweet bacon-like quality of hickory wood enhances its mild, milky flavor.
- 1 pound block of low-moisture whole milk mozzarella cheese
- Cut the cheese into 1-inch thick planks.
- Fill the smoke tube with hickory wood pellets and place it onto the grates.
- Light the pellets in the tube and wait about 10 minutes. Ensure the pellets are burning continuously and emit clean, steady smoke.
- Arrange the planks directly onto the grill grates of your Z-Grill. The grates must be clean. If not, use a baking rack or heat-safe cooling rack.
- Close the grill’s lid and cold smoke for 1 hour. Do not turn on the grill.
- Open the grill, flip the cheese, and close the grill again—cold smoke the cheese for another hour (or two if you want a more intense smoky flavor).
If you live in a warm climate, monitor the grill’s temperature closely. Adding a pan filled with ice may be necessary to keep the grill temperature below 90 degrees Fahrenheit. To store, wrap in plastic and refrigerate or vacuum seal. If vacuum sealed, the smoked mozzarella cheese can be kept for up to a year.
Serving: 28g | Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 200mg | Potassium: 20mg | Vitamin A: 200IU | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 0.1mg