Smoked Chicken Lollipops
Smoked chicken lollipops are tasty, flavor-packed appetizers ideal for entertaining. You can take them in any direction you like, but there’s something special about this version. Gochujang, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, and a few other additions combine to create a flavor bomb. In this recipe, the mixture acts as a marinade AND sauce for a double dose of sweet, spicy heat.
- 4 pounds chicken drumettes, skin on
- ¾ cup Gochujang
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, for garnish
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (green parts only)
- To make the lollipop shape, use a paring knife to cut around the end of the bone of a chicken drumette. Use a sawing motion to cut through any meat and skin until you hit the bone.
- Firmly grasp the drumette and pull any meat from the bone upward towards the thickest part of the drumette. Use your hands to turn the meat inside out to create a lollipop shape.
- Scrape any remaining skin from the bottom of the bone with a paring knife. Discard it.
- Repeat with the remaining drumettes.
- Add the marinade/sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend/process until smooth.
- Reserve half of the marinade/sauce. Use the remaining half to coat the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat your Z Grills (preferably with branded wood pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer the wings to the grates and smoke for 2-2 ½ hours or until the internal temperature of the smoked chicken lollipops is at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, add the reserved sauce to a saucepan and bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Run it through a strainer if you want a smoother sauce.
- Lightly brush the wings with sauce and increase the grill temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover the grill and cook for another 10 minutes or until the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees.
- Plate the smoked chicken lollipops.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions. Serve any remaining sauce on the side.
If you can’t find gochujang, substitute it with another chili paste.
Serving: 409g | Calories: 740kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 56g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 325mg | Sodium: 2130mg | Potassium: 630mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 133IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2.3mg