Braised Pork Shanks
Braised pork shanks boast a rich, savory flavor and are fall-off-the-bone tender. This recipe starts on the stovetop, then the Dutch oven heads to the Z-Grill for a nice smoke braise. Celery, onions, and mushrooms accompany the pork and make a tasty side dish. For the best result, use pork shanks that are equal in size, so they cook at the same rate.
- 6 pork shanks rinds removed
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 ribs of celery diced
- 2 large yellow onions diced
- 1 cup assorted mushrooms stems trimmed and sliced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 28 ounces beef broth reduced sodium
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Pat the pork dry and season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Top each pork shank with a sprig of thyme and encircle each pork shank and sprig with butcher’s string.
- On the stovetop, heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Transfer the pork shanks to the Dutch oven once the oil is hot. Brown on both sides, then transfer them to a platter. Work in two batches.
- Add the butter to the Dutch oven. Toss in the celery, onion, and mushrooms once the butter melts.
- Sauté for 5-7 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Pour in the beef broth, beer, and soy sauce. Follow with the sugar and stir.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and simmer uncovered until thickened.
- Preheat your Z-Grills (preferably with branded wood pellets) or other wood pellet grill to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Return the pork shanks to the Dutch oven and transfer them to the grill grates.
- Close the lid and cook for 2 ½ hours or until the pork shanks are tender.
- Plate, remove the string from each shank, and serve with the sauteed vegetables, mushrooms, and spoon braising liquid over the top.
Pork shanks can be difficult to find in the grocery store, so head to your nearest butcher shop.
Serving: 329g | Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 800mg | Potassium: 570mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1.3mg